POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : my first image !! : Re: my first image !! Server Time
17 Aug 2024 00:11:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: my first image !!
From: MR
Date: 8 Jan 2002 07:36:03
Message: <3c3ae7b3@news.povray.org>
hi grimdude,

i'm just sucking up everybody's suggestion like a sponge.  your
comment about adding a texture beyond the grass is interesting.
and so is your comment about adding a surface normal to the
wall.  i had thought it needed a texture.  i know that a normal is
a line perpendicular to a surface, but i'll have to look into what
you're talking about.  my only experience with messing with the
normal has been a brief encounter with smoothed meshes and
i believe thats how bump maps are done, too.

and radiosity is definitely something i want to experiment with,
but it scares me.  i don't really have any "instinctive" feel yet for
what kind of effect different code will have on an image.  my
standard operating procedure involved a small tweak and then
rerendering.  i'll bet i rendered the scene a thousand times.  no
kidding.  and anything that dramatically increases the render
time slowed my work down to a snail's pace.  thats why i'm nervous
about radiosity.

thank you for your comments and encouragement.

miker

"GrimDude" <vos### [at] gulfnet> wrote in message news:3c3a09c6@news.povray.org...
> I understand about first images.
> You might consider a few things, though you suggested not commenting in
some excellent directions.

> 1) Adding glass would add to the realism.
> 2) Decrease the grass elements by bunching them up tighter close to the
house, and then add a turbulated texture beyond that in the
> same color. This would help preserve the impression that grass covered the
view, without increasing the render time dramatically.